|Date Posted||December 4, 2019|
Science & Engineering
Short-term consultancy for Feasibility Study, WASH Project
Organisation: Sign of Hope
Closing date: 18 Dec 2019
Hoffnungszeichen | Sign of Hope e.V.
Feasibility Study Consultant
Type of Contract
Home-based with field mission travel to Karamoja, Uganda
December 18, 2019
February 1, 2020
Improving access to water, sanitation facilities and hygiene practices in disadvantaged rural communities of Karamoja
Total Project Budget
Background and organizational setting
Hoffnungszeichen | Sign of Hope e.V. works to protect the rights of people in distress and to meet their needs for assistance. The organization is headquartered in Konstanz, Germany. Our work is informed by spiritual beliefs, yet not affiliated with any denomination.
This feasibility study is commissioned, prior to project implementation, under the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) budget for development projects run by private organizations.
Hoffnungszeichen | Sign of Hope e.V. will be the private organization and contracting party, while Caritas Moroto will be the local implementing partner.
It is estimated that nearly 60% of the total burden of disease in Uganda emanate from having unsafe water, sanitation, and hygiene and the associated diseases. Inadequate water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) conditions facilitate ingestion of faecal pathogens which leads to diarrhoea, intestinal worms and enteric dysfunction; the three key pathways from poor WASH to undernutrition. The project aims to improve hygiene in targeted households and young child feeding practices in Karamoja sub-region of Uganda through increased knowledge and better access to WASH infrastructure, products and services. Specific objectives of the project include increased and sustainable access to adequate safe water to vulnerable communities, improved behavioural change and community empowerment in WASH practices, community empowerment on management of water resources and delivery of WASH services.
The project will be implemented jointly in cooperation with Caritas Moroto, a development arm of Moroto diocese covering districts of Moroto, Napak, Amudat and Nakapiripirit districts.
Duties and Responsibilities
The selected Consultant will work under the overall guidance of the Head of the International Aid and Cooperation Department, in close cooperation with the responsible Desk Officer and the local implementing partner.
The duties and responsibilities of the consultant will include:
· Develop a work plan outlining proposed research methodology, geographical coverage, and schedule to conduct the feasibility study.
· Carry out a project site visit to a project location to conduct research, collect data and establish contact with the local implementing partner, potential beneficiaries and relevant project stakeholders.
· Review existing policies and structures, government development strategies, as well as relevant studies and research projects that could serve as a basis for the feasibility study.
· Identify relevant project stakeholders, local governing bodies and industry, as well as lessons learned and best practices of similar on-going and implemented projects relevant to the project.
· Evaluate all available data and sources providing background information on identified issues, problem analysis, as well as selected intervention to address identified needs.
· Assess the proposed activities, as well as their timing and required financial resources.
Professional familiarity with the project country/region
· Proven experience of conducting feasibility studies, evaluations and other research projects
· Experience working with Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and partnered projects
· Practical experience of working for and/or evaluating BMZ-funded projects
· Experience in the relevant field