|Date Posted||June 12, 2019|
Social Services & Nonprofit
MCHN Officer-Community Behavior Change Officer- Location: Amudat
Organisation: Mercy Corps
Closing date: 24 Jun 2019
Mercy Corps does high-quality, analytical work in very difficult places. We have been operating in Uganda since 2006 and currently implement development programs in the Acholi, West Nile and Karamoja sub-regions of Uganda with funding from USAID, DFID and ECHO, among others. Apolou (“Growth” in Nga’karimojong) is a 5-year USAID funded DFSA activity operating in the four districts of Moroto, Kotido, Kaabong and Amudat. Apolou has four objectives grounded in social behaviour change and supports gender-transformative and resilience outcomes:
Inclusive and effective governance contributes to food and nutrition security.
Improved health and nutritional status of pregnant and lactating women, children under five and adolescent girls.
Improved WASH conditions.
Adolescent girls, adolescent boys, women and men access diverse and secure livelihoods through improved capacities and strengthen market systems.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The primary focus of the MCHN Officer for Community Behavior Change (CBC) will be to support the roll out of the MCA strategy to program coverage districts. CBC activities will focus on the enabling environment around the caregiver, targeting husbands, elders, community opinion leaders and other influential persons to speed progress towards positive gender and health behavior changes. The officer will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the CBC component of the APOLOU behavior change strategy and will have supervisory responsibility for activities in Amudat.
The ability of the officer to effectively deliver community level behavior change activities providing mentorship to staff including technical and logistics coordination for field implementation, will be one of the position’s three success factors. The second will be the ability of the officer to effectively build evidence of program coverage and quality, documenting learnings from the field to support strategy designed to increase the uptake of key health and gender behaviors and make tactic adjustments as needed. The third success factor will be the degree to which the CBC officer effectively gathers activity monitoring and evaluation data and utilizes data to inform activity implementation and program learning.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Provide leadership and daily oversight for planning and implementation of CBC activities including; mentorship, support supervision and managerial support to CBCAs of Moroto and Amudat, spending approximately an equal amount of time between the two field offices.
· Sensitize and advocate for the male engagement strategy to relevant stakeholders including local government, Sub-county officials, elders, implementing partners and foster ongoing positive cooperation with these stakeholders.
· Support the CBC Manager in the development of activity plans and a reporting format for the CBC sector with special focus on Moroto and Amudat.
· Contribute in the development of training curriculum, project tools, and IEC materials; facilitate nutrition related trainings for CBCAs e.g. Gender, IYCF and other ENA/EHA components as well as support with staff capacity building.
· Support rollout of module trainings to male change agents, as a direct trainer and backstop supporter to CBCAs.
· Supervise the activities and performance of CBCAs in Moroto and Amudat; conduct routine team meetings, adhere to performance reviews timelines, troubleshoot challenges and standardize implementation approaches.
· Knowledge of approaches to promote gender equality, with a training in gender a plus
· Experience and skills in working with other NGOs, government partners, and local community-based organizations.
· Able to speak Nga’karimojong dialect
· Computer literacy
· Dynamic public speaking skills
· Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines while showing flexibility in day-to-day operations
· Demonstrable English writing and speaking skills
Excellent reporting, communication and representation skills
· Proven experience in conducting community mobilization, training, and networking
· Experience in capacity building with communities in Karamoja