|Date Posted||February 18, 2020|
Legal & Regulatory Compliance Manager
Job Title: Legal & Regulatory Compliance Manager
Reports to: Head of Compliance & Risk
Department: Corporate & Regulatory Affairs
As Legal & Regulatory Compliance Manager you will be responsible for legal and regulatory enterprise compliance management. You will provide an advisory role and policy aspects across the company, ensuring best practice and adherence to the compliance framework.
• Manage the Compliance officers and provide leadership and supervision to them and their work.
• Develop and implement an effective legal and regulatory compliance program
• Support the Head of Compliance in the process of formulating the short, medium and long term strategic plans for the department and for the company from a compliance perspective – including work plans and budgets for the Section.
• Support the Head of Compliance to develop and maintain a compliance framework and systems for the company in line with Umeme’s principles and culture.
• Communicate and implement the company’s compliance framework internally and externally so that all employees, stakeholders, and contractors understand the company-wide risk and compliance objectives and their roles.
• Advise Management on the implementation of compliance initiatives across the company.
• Prepare monthly compliance reports properly detailing legal and regulatory matters.
• Prepare an annual report to Head of Compliance on the status of compliance within the company.
• Ensure that online and face-to-face compliance training programs are delivered effectively to all identified user groups.
• Review the conclusions and recommendations of internal and external audit reports to review progress made on implementation and taking appropriate action to complete that process.
• Foster good working relations with advisers/consultants, auditors, and lawyers.
• Develop and maintain regulatory awareness amongst all staff.
• Maintain up-to-date detailed knowledge and understanding of relevant regulations and laws; and their implications upon Umeme’s business activities.
Confident individual with a proactive attitude; who maintains the highest professional standards to ensure the company is not in a position of risk.
Ability to build supportive relationships with different groups across the company.
Makes commercial business decisions and is resilient in the face of resistance.
Credibility, professionalism, and confidence to implement best practice.
Judgment to balance commercial and compliance risks to achieve positive outcomes.
Ability to work with the business to achieve its goals within the relevant regulatory regimes.
Ability to consistently demonstrate initiative and confidence in day-to-day dealings with Management.
Excellent communication both written and verbal.
Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a field(s) associated with risk management, compliance and/or program management.
•Minimum of 3 years of managerial experience or an equivalent experience
Experience in a regulated business.
A bachelor’s degree in law or a course relevant to the role.
Membership of a relevant professional body.
A master’s degree in a relevant field will be an added advantage.