|Date Posted||October 9, 2019|
Social Services & Nonprofit
Job Title: Community Engagement Officer
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in over 25 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting refugees and vulnerable host communities. IRC Uganda has it country office in Kampala and regional offices in Amudat, Imvepi, Isingiro, Kitgum, Kyegegwa, Lamwo, Moroto and Yumbe. The current program portfolio includes health, protection and rule of law, women’s protection and empowerment, and economic recovery and development programming. Since June 2019, IRC Uganda has been implementing Ebola virus disease (EVD) preparedness activities in Kyegegwa, Kasese and Kagadi districts.
SCOPE OF WORK
Reporting to the Community Engagement Manager, the Community Engagement Officer will, directly and through technical support to health and protection teams, support implementation of community engagement activities in Ebola preparedness and response activities. The Community Engagement Officer will be actively present in IRC-supported facilities and surrounding communities, facilitating community dialogues, participatory feedback mechanisms, and providing mentorship to field teams. In addition, the Community Engagement Officer will be responsible for maintaining contact and coordinating with other partners delivering community engagement activities, including the Ministry of Health, UN agencies, and other NGOs.
Direct support to IRC Ebola Preparedness and Response programs
· With guidance from the Community Engagement Manager, facilitate an ongoing context analysis (age, gender, diversity, and disability), including stakeholder mapping, social network analysis, and analysis of barriers and enablers to positive health-seeking behaviors
· In coordination with health and protection field teams, facilitate active listening sessions and community dialogues in partnership with community focal persons, that address the questions, concerns, and feedback received from community members, based on their information needs and preferences
· In coordination with health and protection field teams, organize and facilitate focus group discussions with women, men, girls, boys, and other representative community groups to seek their feedback and perspectives on IRC activities, and ensure that actions and decisions relative to their feedback or concerns are communicated back to communities
· Support the development of diverse and varied Information, Education, and Communications (IEC) materials that is age-appropriate, gender-sensitive, and based on the information needs and preferences of targeted communities
· In coordination with health teams, support the facilitation of IPC / WASH committee meetings at health facilities, in order to ensure that feedback is provided to and addressed by health facilities, and that decisions and actions are communicated back to affected communities
· Support the collection and analysis of data from patient exit surveys at IRC-supported health facilities
· In coordination with health and protection field teams, promote the use of interagency Feedback, Referral, and Resolution Mechanism (FRRM) in refugee settlements and other accountability and complaints mechanisms, including for Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA), in IRC-supported communities
Ability to i work in a stressful, sometime insecure and fast changing environment;
Ability to work in an inclusive and anti- discriminatory manner
Excellent initiator, able to manage multiple tasks.
Able to work under pressure and good at timely decision making.
Excellent professional approach and a desire to be part of a team
Ability to work closely in the planning and delivery of activities with other sectors\departments
To undertake minimal administrative tasks relating to implementation of activities
Proven fluency in English is a must.
Experience in implementing community engagement activities in emergency contexts.
Experience in planning, facilitating, communicating and leading dialogues with community groups.