|Date Posted||May 15, 2019|
Social Services & Nonprofit
Job Title: Intervention Manager, Access and Usage (AU)
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Financial Services, Access and Usage
Application Deadline: May 30, 2019
About Financial Sector Deepening Uganda (FSDU)
Financial Sector Deepening Uganda (FSDU) is an independent not-for-profit company committed to
promoting greater access to and usage of financial services in Uganda. FSD Uganda seeks to develop a
more inclusive financial sector with a focus on low-income individuals (particularly women) and Micro,
Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
FSD Uganda works with both public and private sector players to develop sustainable improvements in
the livelihoods of low-income individuals through reduced vulnerability to shocks, increased incomes and
employment creation. We support innovation, conduct research, help promote and improve policy, laws
and regulation that shape the financial sector in Uganda through targeted Technical Assistance (TA) and
grants. FSD Uganda is funded by Department for International Development (DFID) UKaid and The Bill
and Melinda Gates Foundation. We are part of a network of eight other financial inclusion organizations
working in the Sub Saharan region of Africa.
For more information, please visit www.fsduganda.or.ug
About this role
The Access and Usage of the Financial Services (AU) pillar at FSDU works with the public and private
sector financial services providers under specific thematic areas of Savings, Investment and Insurance,
Credit and Payments. The scope of work includes an integrated approach focusing on financial services
innovation (piloting and development) targeting women, the youth, Small & Medium Enterprises, the
disabled and forcibly displaced persons in order to increase access and usage of financial services in the
The intervention manager will support the Head of Financial Services in delivering the identified
interventions as per the overall organizational strategy.
Job Description and Key Results Areas
Strategic • Support the AU Pillar Head in thinking through the strategies to implement
appropriate financial services, products, providing use case learning
experiences, and project execution in the following thematic areas:
o Savings, Investment and Insurance.
Program Management and Delivery
• Develop a detailed workplan for the different program interventions
• Build and develop a business pipeline
• Leverage market intelligence to identify gaps and related intervention
• Coordinate documentation of the project proposals, and prepare project
• Manage the procurement of consultants that may be required in the
implementation of the different program interventions. This will include
development of robust Terms of References (TORs) to select high quality
• Hold consultants, and vendors to a high standard of quality, methodology of
• Coordinate with the different partners in the implementation of the different
• Follow up timely execution of the approved projects as per the expected
project milestones in liaison with the appointed project Manager.
• Write Progress Reports for the different Program Interventions
• Ensure effective closure of program interventions
• Undertake market environment scoping and analysis in relation to provision of
financial services for the identified market segments
• Write and publish blogs, research papers, policy briefs and other publications
relevant to the FSD Uganda Mandate
• Participate in the development and implementation of FSD Uganda’s
knowledge management strategy and plan
• Manage the organisation of program partner engagements such as workshops,
Roundtable Discussions etc.
• Participate in engagements such a
• Demonstrable understanding of digital financial services, financial inclusion, market research and business gap analysis
• Demonstated experience working in the private sector innovative financial services
• Demonstrated experience in problem solving
• Proven track record in relationship management and stakeholder coordination - consultants /
service providers including development of terms of reference where required • Exceptional communications skills (especially strong writing skills)
• Team work skills Optional
• Understanding of the local Ugandan financial inclusion environment would be an added advantage.
• At least 5 years of demonstrable experience, at least 3 of which should be in the financial services, business development and business analysis space
A Bachelor’s degree in any field, preferably economics, public policy, business administration
• A Master’s degree in Economics, Public Policy, Business Administration would be an added advantage.